Greetings to Owners!

The governing documents that rule our roost are confusing, written in legalese, and sometimes vague. I'd like to talk about the ARC. That is the Architectural Review Committee. Zach Huett is in charge of it. The Committee's aim is to assure the integrity of the exterior of the buildings, that all construction meets code and community standards for appearance, and assures the safety of the rest of us by use of license contractors and inspections. You should apply for ARC review before any project. Here is a cheat sheet for everyone:

You might need ARC approval if:

1. You are making holes in the exterior walls of the building.

 2. You are replacing anything that goes in a hole in the exterior wall of the building, i.e. a/c units or windows.

3. You are attaching anything to the exterior of the building.

4. You are doing anything that involves changes to plumbing or electric service.

5. You are substantially changing the layout of the unit, i.e. moving the bar or relocating the sink.


1. The HOA is responsible for to maintain the integrity of the building exterior. If holes are made, water can get in, causing rot, mold and insect issues. If the HOA approves a hole to be made, we will want to inspect to see that it is properly sealed to exclude moisture.

2. We need to inspect any job that replaces something that connects the interior and exterior of the building. Again, water intrusion is a huge threat to the buildings. Each time an a/c unit or a window is replaced, we need to make sure it's done properly.

3. You are not allowed to attach anything to the exterior of the building. Water, water, water. Our siding is made of plywood. If water gets in there, all the layers start coming apart.

4. Any changes in plumbing or electrical service require licensed contractors and building permits. The HOA needs to be sure this type of job is done correctly to insure the integrity of the building and keep everyone safe.

 5. Substantial changes to the layout of a unit also require licensed contractors and building permits. If you make changes, like changing the layout of the unit and the unit is destroyed by fire, flood, or other awful event, the HOA is only responsible to return the original layout. The owner would be responsible for any additional costs.

It's always better to put in an ARC request and be told you don't need one, than to get a violation letter later on when you did something in a way that puts the buildings at risk. It's free. (Some HOA's charge a fee for ARC requests.) You can submit them via the CAM website, or print them out and send them to the HOA office.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Topsail Reef Homeowners Association

Board of Directors


Popular posts from this blog